Dear Dr. Ablow,
Allow me to preface by saying that, like George Anthony, my father was a police-officer. My father sexually abused me, including oral and vaginal rape, for many years as a child. I also suffered other trauma at the hands of both parents. As a result, the trauma, incest, and emotional pain caused me to have Dissociative Amnesia for over three decades.
It appears you buy Casey’s “real” version of how Caylee died –that on the morning of June 16, 2008, Casey forgot to lock her bedroom door, so George came in and took Caylee from Casey’s bed. He then carried Caylee out to the swimming pool, molested her there, then killed Caylee in the pool. George then brought Caylee’s lifeless body to Casey’s bedroom and screamed at her that it was all her fault, causing Casey to enter into a ‘dissociative trauma-induced state.’
Do you realize how ridiculous this is?
If you believe this story, it is a slap in the face to all those who have truly suffered trauma-induced dissociation. It is also an injustice to common sense and to the real victim, Caylee Marie.
What “Evidence” Do We Have of Casey’s Story?
- Casey, a pathological liar, wrote in a jailhouse letter to another inmate, that her brother, Lee, touched her breasts, and that she was “possibly” abused by her father. Casey wrote about this “possible” abuse while she was awaiting trial for murder, and during a period of time when she needed to come up with some kind of excuse, reason, or explanation for having gone 31 days without telling a soul that her daughter was dead.
- George probably lied about having an affair.
- Casey is promiscuous and overly sexual.
- Casey has hatred for her father and mother.
As a mental health professional, how can you defend a woman who did not even accuse her father herself at the trial, but who instead allowed her attorney to make the very serious accusations for which her father was not even on trial for?
Public accusations of child sexual abuse, and accusing someone of making an accident look like murder and dumping the body of the child, is a very serious matter. Casey is a grown woman. If she was going to make such heinous allegations against her father, don’t you think she should have stood up and made those allegations herself, instead of hiding behind her attorneys?
Do you condone a man being publicly accused of rape and murder, without a shred of proof, and with the accuser sitting there silently smirking while the trial takes place, without ever taking the stand?
Do you not know how much it harms victims and survivors of child sexual abuse when a person makes a false allegation of child sexual assault and molestation?
There are hundreds of thousands of people who have suffered far worse traumas than what Jose Baez alleges happened to Casey, and many of those people at least had the guts to stand up themselves and face the person they were accusing. You might say, “Casey was too afraid.” Watch the tapes of Casey Anthony in jail, she is not afraid of her parents!
In fact, Casey Anthony does not display any kind of symptoms of fear. People who have endured years of incest, rape, and trauma, have fear-related, or PTSD symptoms in their psychology. According to the doctors who have examined her, and based on evidence in the case, Casey has none of these problems.
While it is possible that Casey was sexually abused as a child by someone..we just don’t know that, and don’t know to what extent, and don’t know who might have done it.
Child Sexual Abuse Does Not Create Monsters Who Have No Morals, and No Regard For Their Children
By believing Casey Anthony’s story, you imply that sexual abuse leads to a total disregard for one’s child, and causes a total lack of morals, and lack of concern for others. This is outrageous, and an injustice to all victims of child sexual abuse.
There are millions of us who were repeatedly orally and vaginally raped as children, but we have a heart. We have love for our children and animals, and would protect them to our death. We would never go partying, shopping, and getting tattoos while our child’s body lay in a swamp decaying like garbage.
Why do you feel that Casey was sexually abused and that she did not murder Caylee? Don’t you understand that Casey might very well have been sexually abused as a child, and that she murdered Caylee?
Look at some of the famous cases of women who have murdered their children, and who have a history of child sexual abuse. There are a number of them.
Susan Smith, Michelle Kehoe, and Diane Downs are only three examples. All three women murdered their children and blamed the deaths on mysterious strangers, not unlike the Zenaida Gonzales story.
Diane Downs blamed a “bushy-haired stranger.” Susan Smith went for the token black man, and Casey Anthony used the Latina babysitter.
If you research the backgrounds of the multitude of women who have murdered their own children, I bet you would find childhood sexual abuse in many of their cases. So what? Child sexual abuse, in and of itself, does not cause a person to want to murder their own child.
Casey Anthony is no doubt a narcissistic sociopath, but there is no known link to how exactly she got that way. She just might very well have a dark, selfish, soul; plain and simple. Or maybe she is just a part of the “me, myself and I” generation, which is the generation of young people who have been taught to ‘kill or remove whatever is in your way.’
Casey and Jose Baez Have Made a Mockery Out of Dissociation and Incest.
Dr. Ablow, you agree with one of the psychiatrists who examined Casey for the defense team. Dr. Danziger says Casey Anthony did not qualify for antisocial (sociopathic) personality disorder.
According to the Mayo Clinic, the symptoms of this disorder are:
- Disregard for right and wrong
- Persistent lying or deceit
- Using charm or wit to manipulate others
- Recurring difficulties with the law
- Repeatedly violating the rights of others
- Child abuse or neglect
- Intimidation of others
- Aggressive or violent behavior
- Lack of remorse about harming others
- Impulsive behavior
- Poor or abusive relationships
- Irresponsible work behavior
Casey Anthony qualifies for every one of these. Rage, and the intimidation of others can be seen if you watch the jailhouse videos. We also witnessed how she often controlled and instructed her defense council during her trial, and how she manipulated the jury with sad faces and crying in their presence, and laughter and indifference to disturbing photos when they were not present.
There is also the moment in time, captured on video, when Casey’s rage was displayed at the trial. Click here to see it.
You say Casey did not qualify for any personality disorder or borderline personality disorder, yet these two disorders are both highly associated with child sexual abuse! You can’t have it both ways.
You also say that Casey did not qualify for any psychiatric diagnosis at all, and you say she did not even come close.
So maybe you ought to test her for “party girl personality disorder” because people who have suffered child rape, incest, and trauma to the point of going into a trauma-induced state to block out the pain of losing their daughter, will show symptoms of having been through trauma. They will have PTSD, nightmares, depression, social problems, physical symptoms, hyper-vigilance, mood swings, unwarranted fear of dying young, low self-worth, inability to trust, reclusiveness, personality disorders, phobias, anxiety attacks, serious memory problems or memory lapses, flashbacks, hopelessness, panic attacks, and overwhelming guilt and shame.
Something Casey Anthony has definitely never displayed, is guilt or shame.
“I won’t state here whether George Anthony is a pedophile and child rapist, but I challenge any other mental health professional with any experience treating victims of trauma to review the depositions Danziger and Weitz rendered and come away asserting that Casey Anthony’s words ring untrue or seem fabricated.”
Ha! Your observation is about a woman who is a proven pathological liar. This is a woman who lies so good, that she was able to fool her entire family, close friends, and boyfriends. I am absolutely blown away that you believe the words of a calculating liar, who had three years to sit in jail… learning, researching, and contriving a plan to get herself off the hook for murder.
You say that you have over 15 years of experience with incest victims, and that Casey Anthony knows the language and said the right words. Are you kidding me? Are you referring to the same woman who conformed to whatever anyone wanted her to be, or to whatever was necessary to fool people with her lies?
No doubt that while incarcerated, Casey spoke with many inmates who were sexually abused, and she picked up some of their stories. You use her words as evidence of incest:
“How do you handle the unspeakable…By putting it in a little box, hiding it deep, pretending all is well. Doing that since age 8, since elementary school, I became exceedingly perfect.” ~Casey Anthony
This sounds like something she read in a book, or saw on a Lifetime movie for women, and I don’t recall any testimony that Casey was exceedingly perfect in school.
My Questions For Dr. Ablow:
- Casey Anthony told Danziger that she slept with Caylee to keep George away from her child. Are you buying into the idea that, in all the times Casey willingly left Caylee alone with her mother, she did not also knowingly leave Caylee alone with George?
- Why did Casey make up a fictitious babysitter a year prior to this so-called drowning accident? And in that year, where was Caylee when Casey told friends and family that Caylee was with this fictitious babysitter?
- When exactly did Casey remember that her father sexually abused and raped her for many years as a child? Because her jailhouse letters indicate that only Lee had tried to molest her. She then mentioned in the letters that she “thinks” her father ‘may have done something too.’
- How exactly did this new revelation of this alleged sexual abuse by her father take place? Did she have therapy in jail and the memories returned to her?
- Don’t you find it convenient that she recalled this alleged oral and vaginal rape by her father while she was sitting in jail facing murder charges and the death penalty?
- Casey seems just fine now. Even the psychiatrists said so. When exactly did she come out of this so-called ‘trauma-induced dissociative state of denial?’
- Why did she wait three years, until the day of opening statements, to tell the world of sexual abuse and an accidental drowning? She was given the opportunity by the police detectives to tell them if an accidental drowning had occurred, and yet she denied it. She even laughed it off when her mother suggested it. Why would Casey Anthony sit in jail for three years, complaining about being stuck in jail, and not tell anyone about the drowning accident that would have set her free?
- The prosecution discovered that one of Casey’s jail inmates had a two year-old who drowned in the family’s above ground pool, and that the child’s grandfather found the toddler’s body floating in the pool. Don’t you think this is where Casey got her drowning story?
- Why would George let Casey face murder charges and the penalty of death, instead of simply saying he found Caylee floating in the pool?
- How do you explain the fact that George Anthony wasn’t the one who abandoned a car with the smell of a cadaver, and that George wasn’t the person who deliberately left two big bags of garbage inside the trunk to cover up the smell of rotting flesh?
- Why would George take the same duct tape he allegedly used to put around Caylee’s head, and use it to hang posters to help find Caylee –knowing full well (being a police detective) that the duct tape could easily be linked back to him?
- If George Anthony committed a crime involving the death of Caylee, why would he have pushed Casey to speak privately with the FBI and the sheriff’s department? Why did he become happy when Casey, at one point, agreed to do so?
- Who is more likely to throw a dead child’s body just off the side of the road, right down the street from the family home in a lazy attempt to cover up a crime? Who? –an experienced ex-homicide detective… or a lazy, self-centered, immature mother who murdered her child?
Swamp mom is a self-gratifying, self-centered, cold-hearted woman who I believe murdered her child and discarded her like a piece of trash, and partied and had sex while her child rotted and was eaten by animals.
Casey should be on death row with Scott Peterson.